Should you pick animation or live action for your latest corporate video? Let’s take a comprehensive look at the strengths and weaknesses of both approaches, as well as the best way to choose between the two, keeping in mind your goals, audience, timeline and budget.
- It’s Humanising and Personal: If you want to make your business appear more human, you can’t beat a live action video featuring real people. We’re all instinctively drawn to real human faces, especially when they show real human emotion, and it’s an effect you just can’t achieve in animation.
- It Shows How Things Work in Practice: The more tangible the product, the more likely it is that live action will work best for your corporate videos over animation.
- It’s Simplifying and Stylized: One of animation’s strengths lies in its ability to express complicated ideas quickly and easily. It’s simply great at explaining things. If you want to get across a tricky idea or complex subject, animation can be far better than live action at boiling down your message into the most important and relevant points. That’s why so many online and technological businesses nowadays have taken to producing animations to explain the value they offer to customers.
- It Can Express More Abstract Ideas: Animation is best suited towards advertising more intangible products and services. Say your customers want to know how the process works step-by-step and how you can actually help them. This can be shown visually through animation in ways that would be impossible in live action video. The same applies to other abstract information like numbers or statistics. An animated video would enable you to convey this data in a manner that is fast, clear and uncomplicated, with supporting icons and graphs.
- It’s Easier to Alter Down the Line: Do you still have some changes you want to make to your animation, even at the very end of the production process? Or do you want to return to it in 6 months’ time and alter some of the information? You can make changes to your animated video at any time, whereas reshooting a live action video would be an expensive process.
What is your budget?
Live action video is generally more expensive, as there are more risks and mistakes are more costly. Shoot delays, a sick actor, or reshoots can quickly eat through your tightly controlled budget. If you are choosing live action video, planning is key and expect setbacks.
Animated video, on the other hand, is less expensive, and is easier to change and modify based upon revised needs. Because all the production is post-production, animated video can be an iterative process, ensuring that your final product is perfectly honed to achieve your goals.
So weigh up exactly what you want to achieve (if you’re still confused, it’s best to ask the advice of an experienced video agency like us!). And don’t forget that it’s always possible to incorporate both — live action video including animated graphics can offer you the best of both worlds.
From consulting and guiding you on the right approach, to concept creation, scripting, production, taking care of all the logistics up until editing, post production and delivery of the final video file, we take care of everything for you.
Get in touch with us today!
+971 56 6593082 +971 55 3806595
Level 14, Boulevard Plaza Tower 1 Downtown Dubai, Dubai, UAE
© A-TEAM 2017